Plugins allows us to expand the basic WordPress tool. There are thousands of plugins available for WordPress, but at MacEwan we’re only using a limited number of them on the site (the more plugins, the more chance for something to go wrong).
You can see what’s available by selecting the Plugins menu from within the Dashboard.. You can find out information about the plugin by clicking on the name.
Many of these plugins are intended for other sites that site on our server, but you’re more than free to use any of the plugins (Note: it’s up to you to read the material and figure out how they work with your site).
Basic plugins that everyone should use are:
- WP-SpamFree (no spam on your site and provides a simple contact form)
- MobilePress (Provides a better experience for visitors on mobile phones)
Plugins that are nice to have include:
- SlideShare MU (embed your PowerPoint presentations on your site using SlideShare.com)
- Viper’s Video Quicktags (easily embed videos from YouTube and other sources)
- ShareThis (allows visitors to post links from stories to social networkds like Facebook, Twitter and event email)
- Event Calendar/Widget (these two plugins provide you with a way to list events as text items, not just a calendar)
Unless you’re real hardcore WordPress geek, the rest of the plugins really won’t do much for you. Here’s a complete list of our plugins: