Dr. Joanne Minaker
Associate Dean, Academic, Faculty of Arts and Science
Associate Professor, Sociology
Room 7-310P, City Centre Campus
780-633-3988 • firstname.lastname@example.org
- PhD, Socio-legal Studies (Queen’s)
- MA, Sociology (Manitoba)
- BA, Criminology (Manitoba)
- Sociology Coordinator, Department of Sociology (MacEwan University)
- Member, Presidential Transition Team (MacEwan University)
- Member, Arts and Science Promotion and Review Committee (MacEwan University)
- Member, Academic Governance Council (MacEwan University)
- Editorial Board, International Journal of Criminology and Sociological Theory, The Motherhood Initiative for Research and Community Involvement and the Engaged Scholar.
- Founding faculty advisor, Change Making initiative, Student Association (MacEwan University)
As associate dean, Dr. Minaker’s responsibilities include the following:
- assist in matters related to the Collective Agreement or Council
- organize and approve field schools
- develop, promote and maintain collegial faculty relations
- foster a teaching culture and collaborate with chairs on developing learning outcomes
- collaborate on academic operations; developing initiatives (for example with the campus Indigenous Centre, kihêw waciston)
- community service learning (COSL) and work integrated learning (WINL)
- provide procedural advice on sabbatical leave, tenure and promotion
- enhance student engagement
- managing Program Services and advisors
- chair the Teaching, Research, & Faculty Development Committee and organize Creating Connections
Areas of Specialization and Scholarly Activity
- Youth crime, youth justice and criminalized youth
- Sociology of care, motherhood studies and marginalized mothering contexts
- Social (in)justice and community engagement
- At the core of Dr. Minaker’s scholarship are explorations of the tensions between individual agency and social systems and “the power of meaningful connections” in creating openings for personal transformation and social change.
- Currently working on two main research projects: 1) Social Media, Engagement, and Caring 2) Sexual Violence in the Post-Secondary Learning Context
- Select publications
- Byrd, D., Minaker, J. & O’Reilly, A. (Eds). (forthcoming 2019) Feminist perspectives on young mothering. Bradford: Demeter Press.
- Boulianne, S., Minaker, J. & Haney, T. (2018). Does compassion go viral? Social media, caring, and the Fort McMurray wildfire. Information, Communication & Society, 21(5), 697-711. DOI: 10.1080/1369118X.2018.1428651
- Minaker, J. (2017). Appreciating Ashley: Learning about and from the life and death of Ashley Smith through feminist pedagogy. Canadian Journal of Law and Society, 32(2), 291-306. Special Issue. DOI:10.1017/cls.2017.15
- Minaker J., & Hogeveen, B. (2015) Criminalized mothers, criminalizing motherhood. Brandford: Demeter Pres.
- Minaker, J., & Hogeveen, B. (2009) Youth, crime & society: Issues of power and justice. Toronto: Pearson.