In order to maximize my own impact as an instructor I have made it my goal over the many years that I’ve been teaching to learn as much as possible about adult learners, adult learning and teaching adults. Teaching is not just a job to me…it is a vocation. Working with individuals who wish to transition into work in arts and culture is a privilege that I don’t take lightly. Together we learn about arts, arts management, ourselves, and each other as we make our way through the curriculum each year.
I believe that:
- Learning is an essential, intensely personal human activity
- Learners are motivated by personal needs and interests
- Learners learn in a variety of different ways
- Teaching and learning are not simply transactions that occur between learner and teacher
- Learning involves a complex set of processes, behaviours, attitudes and decisions on both sides of the teaching and learning equation.